Welcome to The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
Preaching is a public act of spiritual devotion. We may pray that God would hide us behind the cross as we preach. But there is no place to hide in the pulpit.
Let’s face it. The pulpit is a dangerous place. It can fill the preacher with pride that leads to his downfall. It can fill the preacher with discouragement that causes him to give up. It can fill the preacher with fear that prostitutes his divne message for human approval.
How can you guard your heart in the pulpit? Consider these five recommendations…
- Go to the pulpit prayed up.
- Go to the pulpit fully prepared.
- Go to the pulpit as an act of worship.
- Go to the pulpit with pastoral concern.
- Go to the pulpit with an eye on eternity.
How do you guard your heart in the pulpit?
Life and death and eternity and worlds unknown may hang on the preaching and hearing of one sermon.” – Charles Haddon Spurgeon
- BOOK: On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- ARTICLE: Guarding Your Heart in the Pulpit
- PODCAST: What I Pray When I Preach (#014)
- BOOK: On Being a Servant of God by Warren W. Wiersbe
- BOOK: Faithful Preaching by Tony Merida
The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference will take place September 17-19, 2019 at the Shiloh Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference is dedicated to training, promoting, and modeling biblical preaching and teaching. There will be tracks for preaching, Christian education, Pastors’ Wives, Women’s Ministries, and Worship and Arts. Register today!
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section.