This is episode #13 of The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, we will talk about preaching without notes.
Here are twelve practical recommendations that will help you learn to preach without notes:
- Decide if preaching without notes is for you.
- Preach with notes, sort of.
- Start your study as early as possible.
- Study the text diligently.
- Have a clear sermon skeleton.
- Write a full manuscript.
- Make clarity your top priority.
- Internalize the material.
- Master the material through word associations.
- Practice the message.
- Preach the message, not the manuscript.
- Just do it!
So what do you think? Do you preach with or without notes? What advice would you give?
- On Preaching – by H.B. Charles Jr.
- Expository Preaching Without Notes – by Charles W. Koller
- Power in the Pulpit – How to Prepare and Deliver Expository Sermons – by Jerry Vines & James L. Shaddix
- National Conference on Preaching (May 12-14, 2015)
- E.K. Bailey Preaching Conference (July 6-9, 2015)
- Cutting it Straight Preaching Conference (September 22-24, 2015)
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read, leave a message in the comments section. Or send a message by clicking the SEND VOICEMAIL tab to the right of this page.