Welcome to The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, I want to talk to you about where you do your sermon preparation. There seems to be two obvious answers to the question about where a preacher does his sermon preparation: at home or at the church. But the the question is bigger than just a geographic location.
Where should you prepare to preach?
- Prioritize concentration.
- Go to your secret prayer closet.
- Turn your “Office” into a “Study.”
- Work where you tools are.
- Not in an ivory tower.
- Work where you can work.
- Sanctify whever you are.
What is the best place for you to do your sermon preparation?
- BOOK: On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- ARTICLE: How Do You Find Time for Study? | H.B. Charles Jr.
- PODCAST: Seven Ways to Become a Better Preacher (#032)
- BOOK: Deep Work by Cal Newport
- BOOK: New Testament Exposition by Walter L. Liefeld
“The sermon serves the text; it does not use it.” – Walter L. Liefeld
The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference will take place September 17-19, 2019 at the Shiloh Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference is dedicated to training, promoting, and modeling biblical preaching and teaching. There will be tracks for preaching, Christian education, Pastors’ Wives, Women’s Ministries, and Worship and Arts. Register today!
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section.