Welcome to The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, I want to talk to you about five neglected tools for sermon preparation.
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. – 2 Timothy 2:15
Every workman needs tools to accomplish his work, including preachers. Especially preachers. Books are a preacher’s tools. Effective preaching requires specialized tools. But no preacher should neglect the most fundamental tools in his sermon preparation.
Here are five neglected but important tools for sermon preparation…
- The Bible
- An English Dictionary
- A Thesaurus
- A Concordance
- A Hymnal
- Do you use these tools in your preaching?
- What basic tools would you add to this list?
- How can you use these tools more effectively in your sermon preparation?
- On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- Progress in the Pulpit by Jerry Vines & Jim Shaddix
- Expository Exultation by John Piper
- New Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance by James Strong
- The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge by R.A. Torrey
“Make friends with books, they will never leave you nor forsake you.” – John A. Reed Jr.
The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference will take place September 18-20, 2018 at the Shiloh Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference is dedicated to training, promoting, and modeling biblical preaching and teaching. There will be trains for preaching, Christian education, Pastors’ Wives, Women’s Ministries, and Worship and Arts. On Friday, September 21, there will be a live CD recording by the Shiloh Church Choir and Sovereign Grace Music. Register today!
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section.