Welcome to episode #35 of The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you to preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, I want to talk to you about nine (9) steps to getting the sermon off to a good start…
- Introduce something.
- Place the text in its proper context.
- state the point of the message.
- Give an accurate forecast.
- Write it out.
- No dumping allowed.
- Know your audience.
- Practice variety.
- Keeps it brief.
What do you think? What do you think makes an effective sermon introduction? What are the keys to getting the sermon off to a good start?
- On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- On Pastoring by H.B. Charles Jr.
- On Sermon Introductions by H.B. Charles Jr.
- Introducing the Sermon: The Art of Compelling Beginnings by Michael J. Hostetler
- The SBTS Expositors Summit | October 25-27, 2016 | Louisville, KY
- The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference | September 20-22, 2016 | Jacksonville, FL
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section. Or send a message by clicking SEND VOICEMAIL tab to the right of this page.