Last Sunday, I continued my study of the book of Philippians. I covered the first portion of Paul’s testimony, in which he discusses his conversion from Judaism to Christianity.
What a text!
Here is the skeleton from Sunday’s sermon.
TITLE: “Lay Your Religion Down”
TEXT: Philippians 3:4-9
SERMON SERIES: PHILIPPIANS: PARTNERSHIP IN THE GOSPEL
THEME: The dynamics of Christian conversion
POINT: Lay your religion down!
I. Paul’s past confidence in his flesh (3:4-6)
A. Paul boasting about his confidence in the flesh (v. 4)
A. A confession (v. 4a)
B. A challenge (v. 4b)
B. Paul basis for confidence in the flesh (vv. 5-6)
1. Paul’s confidence was in who he was (v. 5)
2. Paul’s confidence was in what he had done (vv. 5-6)
II. Paul’s powerful conversion to faith in Christ (4:7-9)
A. What Paul gained (vv. 7-8)
1. The extent of Paul’s loss (vv. 7-8)
2. Paul’s estimation of his loss (vv. 7-8)
• Paul made a definite decision (v. 7)
• Paul made a daily decision (v. 8)
B. What Paul gained (vv. 8-9)
1. Paul gained the knowledge of Christ (v. 8)
2. Paul gained the righteousness of Christ (v. 9)